As another school year in Arizona draws to a close, Cactus Pediatric Orthopaedics/Kids Fracture Care wants to wish you and your family a great vacation season!
We have a few recommendations to keep the Summer Fun, Safe, and Healthy!
- Sunscreen, Hats, and Sunglasses for the whole family! Yes, we’re “bone doctors” but we care about all those other important parts as well.
- Sunscreen may interfere with Vitamin D metabolism, so make sure everyone in the family takes a little extra Vitamin D. We would recommend at least 600IU per day but check with your Pediatrician or Family Practice office as they might advise more.
- Keep your kids well hydrated and fed! Their balance and function will be much better in terms of injury prevention.
- Bare feet and FlipFlops dramatically increase the risk of injury on bikes, skateboards, and scooters…we love treating broken bones, but they are best avoided on your vacation time…think about close-toed sports shoes or sport sandals for these activities.
- If your kids have an accident while on vacation, please feel free to keep us in the loop, and suggest to the ER or Urgent Care that they can call us to help sort out follow-up when you return back to Arizona.
Have a great Summer. We hope you all get a chance to rest and cool off!